hiatus calendar

Thursday 10/03/02

Who’s up for seeing the Japanese girl and two Italian guys in Blonde Redhead perform at The Scene? OK, so no one in the band is either blonde or redheaded but they still play really cool artistic rock and pop with thrilling experimental guitar and personal lyrics. If you’re interested, the show starts at 7:30 p.m. and tickets are $15. For more information call (858) 505-9111.

A real ghost story and legend comes to life with a DVD projection at the Museum of Contemporary Art in Downtown San Diego. Los Angeles artist Jeremy Blake researches the history behind the famous San Jose home of rifle-heiress Sara Winchester. Learn about the eccentric woman and discover what drove her to do what she did at this exhibition, titled “”Winchester,”” which runs until Nov 27. The exhibit it free and for more information call (619) 234-1001.

Friday 10/04/02

Buried in the bosom of San Diego’s Gaslamp Quarter are the legendary annual fright fests put on by the Haunted Hotel and Frightmare on Market Street. If you think you don’t scare easily, then prove it by making your way through the terrifyingly realistic themed rooms. Admission is $11.95 at each, and for hours of operation call (619) 231-0131 or check out their Web site at http://www.hauntedhotel.com/haunt/index.html. And don’t bring children under 10 unless you want to traumatize them for life.

Saturday 10/05/02

For all those young at heart, the everlasting tale of youth, magic, love, good and evil returns in the play “”Peter and Wendy”” at the La Jolla Playhouse. With talented actors, puppeteers and animated objects, who could resist? The play runs until Nov. 10, so be sure to secure your seats. The play runs Tuesday through Saturday at 8 p.m. with a matinee show at 2 p.m. on Sunday. Tickets range from $19 to $49. For more information call (858) 550-1010.

Sunday 10/06/02

Legendary Blues guitarist Buddy Guy will be pounding out tunes on his polka-dotted guitar tonight at 4th and B in the Gaslamp district. One of the few surviving guitarists of his time, Buddy was described as “”the world’s greatest guitar player”” by Eric Clapton. Buddy was living in obscurity when he was discovered by Clapton in the late ’80s, but now you are lucky enough to be able to hear him in person. The show begins at 8 p.m. and tickets start at $24.

Monday 10/07/02

Punk rock band No Use For A Name returns to San Diego after having visited UCSD last year when they played at Sun God. The band that hails from Sunnyvale, Calif. will be performing with other seasoned punk bands Yellowcard, The Eyeliners and GOB. So head on over to Cane’s Bar and Grill, where the show starts at 7 p.m. Tickets are $13.

Wednesday 10/09/02

Head on over to The Scene, where Bright Eyes will bring their unique brand of sultry, folkie and indie pop. Conor Oberst, a 20-year-old Omaha, Neb. native, is the songwriter and lead singer of the band. He puts every ounce of himself into his performance, and it has garnered accolades from all corners of the music industry. To see for yourself how awesome he is, be there at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $13. For more information call (858) 505-9111.

$2515
    $5000