Bali dancing troop Cudamani to take stage

During their years of academic life at UCSD, most students will rarely come across mention of Bali. However, on Oct. 4, students will get the chance to see firsthand the sights and sounds of the country, thanks to Cudamani.

Cudamani is a group of 25 musicians and dancers ranging from ages eight to 33. This group was founded in the 1970s in the small village of Pengsekan in Ubud, Bali to preserve and cultivate the cultural and artistic life of their village.

Cudamani has four main objectives to achieve through their work. The first: pass on classical music and dance pieces from the old masters to the younger generations. The second: assist in the development of new creative projects by young composers and choreographers.The third: educate the children of the villages in their native forms of music and dance. Fourth: support the spiritual life of the villages in Bali by offering their musicians and dancers for ritual ceremonies.

For the first time, Cudamani has a chance to bring their talent to those outside of Bali. This is their first international tour, and their program will include a variety of works ranging from treasured classics to newly-created compositions. The main goal of the group is to educate others about their art and culture.

Judi Griffith of the University Events Office believes that this will be a valuable event for students to attend. She believes that this performance will be a “”unique experience for the students of UCSD.”” Griffith said this performance could be of “”particular interest to the Asian students on campus, especially those whose families are from Bali, as this would be a wonderful chance to experience their culture.”” However, she stresses that this is a wonderful chance for all students to “”broaden their knowledge of other cultures.””

Cudamani will be performing in the Mandeville Auditorium Oct. 4 at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $20 for general admission, $15 for students and $18 for UCSD faculty/ staff and senior citizens. Tickets can be purchased at the UCSD box office or by calling (858) 534-TIXS.

$2515
    $5000