Fall Sports Preview

The UCSD women’s soccer team began the 2002 season the same way the 2001 season ended: winning.

Lyon Liew

The two-time defending Division II national champion Tritons already sit atop the leader board with a 4-0 conference record and a 5-0 overall record.

Junior Kristin Jones, the 2001 National Collegiate Athletic Association Tournament Outstanding Offensive Player, scored the only goal to clinch the first victory of the season against nonconference opponent Tusculum College of Tennessee. During the ensuing conference games against Cal State San Bernardino, Cal Poly Pomona, Grand Canyon University and Sonoma State University, UCSD outscored its league opponents 8-2.

With the loss of seven graduating seniors from last year, the young but talented 2002 squad has substantial holes to fill.

Lyon Liew

“”Freshman forward Lindsey Treankler and freshman sweeper Heather Szafranic have stepped up already for us this year,”” said head coach Brian McManus. “”Our red shirts from last year, along with junior transfer from the University of Arizona Shannon Harrelson, have also been a factor in our wins so far.””

In just four games, Treankler has three goals and Jones has two, while juniors Amy Goker, Megan Mendoza, Kristen Conahan and sophomore Britni Wenck each have one goal apiece.

The California Collegiate Athletic Association conference is widely regarded as the most difficult in Division II, and the Tritons are aware of their competition.

“”UC Davis, Cal State Dominguez Hills and Cal Poly Pomona are all very good teams, as are the others in the conference, so anyone has the ability to win,”” McManus said. “”The quality of competition is so high that a team from this conference has been in the final four every year.””

With two Division II titles to its name, the UCSD women’s soccer team looks to be the team to beat this season and is on its way to a possible three-peat championship.

“”We have some new players this year, and we are still building,”” McManus said. “”A lot of this season will depend upon injuries. Staying healthy, combined with a little bit of luck, will keep us going in the right direction.””

The Tritons finished their four-game home stand on Sept. 22 against San Francisco State University and are going on the road for their next four games. UCSD will face CSU Los Angeles Friday, CSU Dominguez Hills, Chico State University, and UC Davis during its four-game trip.

$2515
    $5000