Interim freshman senators appointed by college councils

While last year’s freshman senators from John Muir and Revelle Colleges move on to their new positions, interim freshman senators have been appointed to fill their positions.

Muir College Council voted to appoint Colin Parent, the outgoing commissioner of student services and enterprises, last week to the position of interim freshman senator.

The freshman interim senator position requires the office-holder to represent the freshmen at his or her respective college. The interim senators hold the position until a freshman is appointed by his or her respective college council during fifth week of fall quarter.

“”Some members of the departing council have raised concerns over a priority for me for the ten-week term,”” Parent said.

One of Parent’s main goals as freshman interim senator will be to create a “”know your rights”” campaign, which would seek to inform freshmen, not only at Muir, but campuswide, of their rights as on-campus residents.

Revelle College Council appointed a current freshman, Deepa Ravindranath.

“”We appointed her because she was qualified,”” said former Revelle College Council Chair Mark Stickel.

As interim senator, Ravindranath hopes to make the transition to college life at UCSD easier for incoming freshmen.

“”I know that when I came to college it was a lot different than I expected and there were some things that I didn’t really expect to happen to me,”” Ravindranath said. “”I am just hoping to help freshmen and to help them be less apathetic.””

The college council of Eleanor Roosevelt College will not be appointing a new senator until later this week. Dina Randazzo and Brian Israel, the Earl Warren College and Thurgood Marshall College freshman senators, respectively, will remain in office for the duration of their terms through next fall.

Eleanor Roosevelt College will be accepting applications for the interim senator position until May 6. A decision will not be made until after interviews, which will be held by the council May 9.

$2515
    $5000