Cross country loses three to graduation

Jonathan Wong, Steve Smith and Mary Peate have been excellent athletes and students throughout their careers at UCSD, working hard to maintain good grades and stay in top physical form for the Triton cross country teams. During the 2001 season the women’s cross country team posted strong results, including a victory at a Point Loma Nazarene University meet and a sound fifthplace in the California Collegiate Athletic Association Championships.

Courtesy of UCSD Athletics

Peate was a great performer for the Tritons, placing in the top two spots in Triton finishers in many meets, including first in the Point Loma Nazarene Dual during the 2000 season, as well as providing much leadership for the upcoming stars of the cross country team.

“”Mary Peate helped to mentor the underclassmen on both the physical and mental preparation necessary to perform at that national level,”” said cross country coach Ted Van Arsdale.

Wong and Smith have been equally consistent on the men’s side, with Wong finishing as the top Triton performer in the Triton Invitational, sixth overall. Smith finished third for the Tritons and in 43rd place overall. As for the coaching staff, they could not be more proud of how these two athletes conducted themselves both on and off the track field.

Courtesy of UCSD Athletics

“”Both have demonstrated throughout their career what dedication can produce,”” Van Arsdale said. “”Both came in as average high school athletes and have developed to become elite in their racing performances.””

According to Van Arsdale, running is a great barometer to see how far a person can push himself.

“”It is a great way to develop personal character,”” Van Arsdale said. “”Distance and training teaches patience, and helps to develop one’s determination to succeed.””

These seniors realize that their sport may not be the most fun sport to play, but their reasons for working hard at it lie in what they make of it.

“”One reason [for racing] is that one race — the one race where everything goes right,”” Wong said. “”You feel great, and you are just flying. Your teammates are up on their feet cheering like mad for you, and when it’s all over, you just feel awesome. It’s moments like those that make everything — all the hard work, all the pain, all the disappointments along the way — worthwhile.””

According to Wong, his teammates were integral to his experience.

“”The second reason why I’ve enjoyed running is the people I run with. If I did not like my teammates or coach, I know I would have quit by now. The people I have met over the years, and the times I have had here on this team are irreplaceable. And it saddens me that this will be the last time I will ever be part of a team like this again,”” Wong said.

Their leadership is the blueprint for how individual members of a team can come together for the better good of the squad.

“”We are a team and everyone’s actions reflect upon our team,”” Wong said. “”We’re all supportive to one another and try to help one another out. One of the hardest parts of racing is the mental aspect. Ted always says, ‘The body will do what the mind tells it.’ It is that portion of running where others have tried to help me visualize and get my head in the race. It is there that I now try to help the other running athletes on our team.””

As you can see, these seniors have given themselves not only great experiences in college life, but also a strong foundation of knowledge that they will use for whatever careers they pursue.

$2515
    $5000