Film Review: Buddy-cop film not ready for show time

Robert DeNiro’s latest film, a buddy-cop collaboration with Eddie Murphy titled “”Showtime,”” falls short of the expectations that come with two highly touted actors working together.

DeNiro plays Mitch Preston, a veteran police detective who is forced into starring in a reality-based television cop show called “”Showtime.”” Producer Chase Renzi — played by ageless Hollywood hottie Rene Russo — decides to team Preston with Trey Sellars (Murphy), a police officer who moonlights as an actor.

The film follows the predictable formula of past buddy-cop movies where the two main characters can’t stand each other at first and finally end up working together to track down the bad guy. There are several entertaining moments throughout the movie, but on the whole it is far from compelling cinema. The film’s best moments occur when it mocks the buddy-film genre. The movie takes itself too seriously in too many parts and suffers the consequences.

Far removed from the days when he would spend over a year preparing for roles, DeNiro could be accused of being lazy in the as Preston, a role very similar to that of Eddie Fleming in “”15 Minutes”” — also a veteran police officer who was featured on television. Except for the genres, the characters are interchangeable.

The role marks a return to comedy for DeNiro after dramatic performances in “”The Score”” and “”15 Minutes.”” He enjoyed critical success with “”Analyze This”” and also some acclaim for his role in “”Meet the Parents,”” but DeNiro’s timing falters in this movie. His performance seems forced at times and his timing seems to be just a tad off for most of the movie.

For his part, Murphy shines as the over-the-top, camera-hogging sidekick. Murphy’s best moments in the film are when he is completely out there. In all, it is an admirable performance from Murphy.

There are two very entraining cameo appearances in the film from William Shatner and Johnnie Cochran, who both play themselves. Shatner plays a television-cop adviser who is hired by Renzi to teach Preston and Sellars about being cops on television. Cochran makes an appearance defending a criminal in the movie (big shock).

Die-hard fans of DeNiro and Murphy might want to shell out the big bucks to see this flick on the big screen, but others should save their money and wait for the video on this one, which falls regrettably short of its potential.

Showtime

***

Starring Robert DeNiro,

Eddie Murphy and Rene Russo

In theaters March 15

Rated PG-13