The Strokes to fill up 4th & B for their only West Coast stop

The Strokes will stop at 4th & B on Feb. 3 as part of their world tour, playing their only California date at a venue that may not be able to contain the buzz this band has created lately.

The band is touted for its 1970s sound, which is nothing like anything else currently going on in rock. Their album, “”Is This It,”” has been proclaimed this year’s best album by both “”Entertainment Weekly”” and “”New York”” magazine. The album was also mentioned on numerous top 10 lists in the United States and was nominated for best international album in the United Kingdom at the Brit Awards.

Despite the New York roots of The Strokes, their popularity abroad has grown faster than it has at home. This could be due in great part to their connection with the fashion industry. Lead singer Julian Casablancas is the son of the head of one of the world’s largest modeling agencies.

In the world of fashion, the wave of influence moves from East to West. This could explain why the band is playing only one California show and around 15 on the East Coast, not to mention the fact that it is playing nearly double the amount of shows in Europe and the rest of the world than it is playing here in the States.

If The Strokes follow the recent fashion trends, they should be huge in the United States in about six months.

It will certainly be a rare treat to see: The Strokes playing a venue the size of 4th & B. Their tremendous international success ensures that future shows will be at larger, less personal venues.

Fresh off of hit television shows “”Saturday Night Live”” and “”Conan O’Brien,”” The Strokes are promoting themselves to the college-age crowd, who they will need in order to move to the top of the charts.

Unfortunately, the show at 4th & B will be for those of legal drinking age only. Look for them next year at a much larger venue near you.