Triton named CCAA athlete of the week

UCSD’s Kathleen Hentz was named the California Collegiate Athletic Association’s player of the week in women’s volleyball for the week of Oct. 8 through Oct. 14.

Hentz, a 5-foot-10 middle blocker from Los Angeles, is a senior on the Triton volleyball squad. She led UCSD to conference victories over Sonoma State and San Francisco State last weekend to earn the award.

“”[Hentz] played great for us last week,”” said Triton head volleyball coach Duncan McFarland. “”She was very consistent.””

In the match against the Sonoma State Cossacks, she put down a match-high 13 kills while hitting an amazing .522. She also added a team-high of 11 digs, two service aces, two blocks and an assist in the three-game sweep. Against the San Francisco State Gators, she recorded a team-high six kills to go along with eight digs. She had no errors in the game.

For the week, Hentz averaged 3.8 kills per game and 3.8 digs per game to go along with a .405 hitting percentage.

McFarland said that Hentz has been a model of consistency.

“”[Hentz] has been steady for us all season,”” McFarland said. “”She started very strong for us. She came into the year in great shape and has continued to work hard all year.””

$2515
    $5000