Men's soccer survives for second win

The UCSD men’s soccer team overcame its early season woes Sunday afternoon with a solid 2-1 home victory over California Collegiate Athletic Association rival California State University Los Angeles.

Guardian file photo

The Tritons, who are 2-5 in the CCAA and 2-7 overall, held off a late surge from the Golden Eagles to preserve the victory.

Defense dominated the first half. UCSD goalkeeper Ryan Weirich stopped seven shots throughout the game. Cal State L.A. goalie Scott Mazurier, however, was only able to save five shots.

The Tritons turned on the pressure late in the first half and got a goal from junior team captain Kris Chiles. Chiles got the ball just outside the penalty area and placed a shot into the corner of the goal, beating Mazurier and giving UCSD a 1-0 lead.

With barely six minutes left in the game, Marc Salomon fired a free kick into the Golden Eagles’ goal. Mazurier stopped the shot, but mishandled it. Luckily, Triton sophomore Sean Summers was right there to put the ball — and the game — away.

Cal State L.A., determined to make things interesting late in the game, got a goal from senior midfielder Otto Rodriguez. His medium-range shot pulled the Golden Eagles to within one at the 86:13 mark, but that would be as close as they got.

A crowd of about 200 faithful UCSD fans watched the action at Triton Soccer Stadium.

UCSD will be back in action Sept. 28 when they take on CCAA foe UC Davis at Triton Soccer Stadium. Kickoff is scheduled for 4:30 p.m.

$2515
    $5000