Tritons Down Redlands 10-2

The UCSD men’s baseball team’s grueling schedule continued as it recently played five games in six days, four at its home field.

Lyon Liew

UCSD hosted Cal Poly Pomona on Thursday. Pomona had a record of 19-17 coming into the game. The Tritons jumped out to a 7-1 lead in the third inning, with Chad Addison and Chris Tallman each driving in two runs. The Tritons led the game 7-2 going into the seventh inning.

The game turned around as Cal Poly rallied in the seventh inning, scoring 8 runs to take a 10-7 lead. The Tritons scored once in the eighth, but Cal Poly held on to win 11-8.

Addison was the bright spot for the Tritons, going 5-for-6 with 3 RBIs.

Lyon Liew

The teams played again on April 13. Cal Poly came out swinging in the first, scoring two runs off John Beaven, including a home run by power hitter Justin Davis.

UCSD managed only two runs in the entire game, one from a solo home run by junior Ryan Larson in the fourth inning. The game ended in a 4-2 loss for the Tritons.

The teams met again for a doubleheader April 14, this time at Pomona, where things got even worse for UCSD.

In the first game, Pomona ace Steve Kaustinen gave up eight hits and one run to improve his record to 4-3.

UCSD’s Andy Hanau couldn’t handle Pomona’s attack, as Pomona piled up 10 runs in eight innings. Pomona third baseman Gregor Connors belted his fifth home run of the season and the team combined for 10 hits.

The Tritons, looking to snap their three-game losing streak, sent Michael Bedar to the mound for three innings of work in the second game. Tommy Sereno closed out the seven-inning game.

Bedar and Sereno gave up just two runs in six innings. Kevin Waldinger pitched the entire game for the Broncos, giving up three runs in the process. The game came down to the bottom of the seventh, with the Tritons ahead 3-2. Dramatically, the home team from Pomona sent Daniel Bobadilla and Ryan Vorell across home plate to take the game 4-3.

The Tritons pounded the Unversity of Redlands, 10-2, at Triton Baseball Field on Tuesday and snapped their four-game losing streak. The Tritons scored all of their runs in the first three innings. They scored five runs on four hits in the third inning and were helped by two errors by the visiting team. Addison went 3-for-5 with a double and a stolen base. The win boosted their record to 11-27 overall.

UC Davis is the next opponent for the men’s baseball team. The Tritons will play the Aggies Friday at 2:30 p.m. at UCSD. They will also play games this weekend, once on Saturday and Sunday each, times to be announced.

This is a huge series for the Tritons — a chance to defeat a rival as well as build some momentum going into next year.

$2515
    $5000