Golf Fails to Shine in Arizona Desert

The UCSD golf team showed improvement against tough competition at the Grand Canyon University/Thunderbird Invitational in Phoenix. Some notable schools participating included crosstown rival San Diego State University, Cal State Stanislaus and the University of Utah.

On the first day of competition, Grand Canyon University, the host school, blew away the opponents, finishing the day at 18 under par. In contrast, the Tritons found themselves at the bottom of the standings after the first day at 38 over par. Darin Sullivan fared the best for UCSD, with six over par. Not far behind him was Greg Wilson at nine over par.

In the final day of competition on the April 10, the Triton golfers put in a much better performance and finished the Invitational 16th out of 18 competitors. UCSD completed the tournament 61 over par.

Grand Canyon University continued its dominance and brought home the tournament win after holding off a resilient Stanislaus team. Mark Lawless of Stanislaus finished at 10 under par and edged out John Davis and Andy Davis of Grand Canyon University for medalist honors.

The UCSD men’s golf team next travels to Chico for the NCAA District Championship April 16-17.

$2515
    $5000