Softball Hangs Solid Over Break

The UCSD softball team had a successful time during its break.

Against Vanguard University, the Tritons split two games, losing the first game 3-2 before winning the second 8-0.

Jeanine Cordero was the offensive highlight for UCSD in its win, picking up two hits to score a run and drive in a run.

The winning pitcher for UCSD was Christi Martinelli.

The Tritons also played a doubleheader against San Francisco State University.

The first game was a classic, winning 3-0 behind a Martinelli no-hitter. She struck out seven en route to the win.

Christina Searing had three hits, an RBI and scored a run for UCSD.

The second game against the Gators ended in a 2-2 tie after being called for darkness.

Against Sonoma State University, UCSD brought the brooms, winning both sides of a doubleheader.

The Tritons picked up the first game 2-1. Leea Harlan picked up the win with three strike outs in seven innings. Cordero had an RBI and scored a run.

The Tritons put the hurt on the Cossacks in the second game, winning 10-1.

Cordero had three RBIs and Amy Mettee scored three times.

Martinelli was on the mound for the win, striking out eight.

For a change of pace, UCSD took on a Division I team, Northern Iowa, in a doubleheader.

The Tritons showed that they could hang with the big boys, winning the first game 5-0. Mettee had two RBIs.

Harlan picked up the win.

The Tritons hung tough in the second game, losing 4-3.

Against Cal State Stanislaus, UCSD lost both games. It was tough against the California Collegiate Athletic Association leaders, losing 2-1 and 1-0.

Wednesday at 5 p.m., UCSD hosts the University of San Diego at Rimac Field.

$2515
    $5000