UCSD Club Sports

Dancesport

The UCSD dancesport team hosted the Fifth Annual Day By the Shores Collegiate Dancesport Championship on Saturday, March 3. The event featured schools from as far away as New Mexico.

UCSD had many couples dance well.

UCSD’s Jonathan Marion and Janelle Bouey were the stars of the weekend. They took fourth in Silver Mambo; third in Bronze Swing; second in Bronze Bolero and the Silver Rumba; and first in the Bronze Cha Cha, Bronze Rumba, Bronze Mambo and Silver Cha Cha.

UCSD also took first place in the formation team competition.

Snowboard Team

The UCSD snowboard team traveled to the final event of the 2001 United States Collegiate Snowboard Association at Bogus Basin, Idaho, hosted by Albertson College, last weekend.

Teams as far away as Penn State came to compete.

The top UCSD women’s competitor was Amy Sage in third place.

The men did not have such a good weekend, as the team from Whitman College dominated the top three spots.

Sailing Team

The UCSD sailing team finished in the top 10 of two regattas during the weekend of February 24-25.

On Saturday, the A boat, led by Rob Grant and Eric McClure took first, third and fourth throughout the course of the day. The B boat, with Ben Dahlin and Sarah Rozycki, took third and fourth on Saturday.

On Sunday, the A boat finished second and eighth. The junior varsity boat took fifth.

Ice Hockey

The UCSD ice hockey team downed Cal State University Northridge 4-2 at University Town Centre on Friday.

UCSD’s Steven Cohen started the scoring festivities with a goal off a Chris Davis assist. Cohen added another goal in the second period for a 2-0 lead.

In the third period, CSUN was still scoreless but finally got on the board with two goals. Not to worry, as Cohen was still on the ice.

He scored two more goals, for a total of four, giving his team the win.

Next up for UCSD are the playoffs; date and location to be announced.

Women’s Rugby

The UCSD women’s rugby team hosted the annual Champagne Classic Tournament at Robb Field this weekend.

Claremont College and Chico State were the guests, with UCSD finishing second behind Chico.

Claremont was not expected to be a problem. Behind great play by Simone Luca, Tiffany Torres and Candace Jackman, UCSD won 15-12.

It was a different story against Chico. Chico is considered one of the best teams on the West Coast and proved it by downing UCSD 15-0.

UCSD is currently 4-3-2 and faces Claremont next.

Upcoming Events

Friday, March 16

Men’s lacrosse versus University of Arizona at RIMAC Field, 7 p.m.

Saturday, March 7

Cycling at San Diego State University, all day

Equestrian Regional at Clarks Ranch, all day

— Compiled by Robert Fulton

Sports Editor

$2515
    $5000