Stanislaus, Bakersfield Ruin Weekend

The UCSD women’s basketball team lost two tough games at home to CSU Stanislaus and Bakersfield last weekend, bringing its overall record to 13-10 and its league record to 9-9.

In the first half against Stanislaus, the Tritons came out firing. They took 27 shots but only connected on nine. The Tritons only made one three-pointer in all the first half, but came up clutch at the free throw line, making 11 of 12. Grand Canyon was a mediocre 35 percent shooting in the first half, connecting on only 10 of 28 shots. Genevieve Ruvald led the team with 11 points in the half, as she made seven of eight free throw attempts. The half ended with UCSD maintaining a four-point lead.

The second half saw the Tritons struggling once again. The Tritons hoisted up 31 attempts and made only 10. They connecting on one point attempt, and sank four out of six from the free throw line. Stanislaus was sizzling in the second half, as it made 50 percent of its shots and a scorching 9 of 11 from the free throw line. It played within its offense and got consistent buckets in the paint. The final score read 65-55.

“”[Stanislaus] shot really, really well from the field,”” said freshman Lauren Murray. “”The team played really hard, but the rebounds killed us. They seemed to get all the boards. Overall, we didn’t play our best basketball, but playedhard.””

In the second game against Bakersfield, the Tritons seemed to have a win within reach against a quality opponent. In the first half, the Tritons shot 11 of 26 from the field, and an amazing 12 of 16 from the free throw line. CSU Bakersfield played well in the first half, knocking down 13 of 27 shots from the field. Surprisingly enough, they made the exact number of foul shots as the Tritons, with the same number of attempts. It was simply that this game was going to be won in the trenches. The first half came to a close with CSU Bakersfield maintaing a six-point lead over the Tritons.

The Tritons couldn’t seem to get their offense going, shooting 40 precent from the field and a sub-par eight of 17 from the free throw line. CSU Bakersfield contested every three-point shot attempted by UCSD, as the home team made only one of six. As the game culminated, the score read 80-67.

“”We started off slow, and that killed us,”” Murray said. “”We were down 10 points really quickly, and from then we never seemed to get any momentum to erase the lead. We couldn’t get close enough to challenge for the lead.””

Next weekend UCSD plays at CSU Dominguez Hills and CSU Los Angeles, Friday and Saturday at 5:45 p.m.