Diving Goes to USC Invitational

The UCSD diving team made a sojourn to USC this weekend to compete in the three-day Trojan Diving Invitational.

The invitational ran from Nov.16 to Nov. 18 and showcased 13 different teams.

From California were UCLA, UC Irvine, UCSD, Redlands, San Diego State, Fresno State, San Jose State, UC Berkeley and Stanford.

From outside the state were Arizona, BYU and Colorado State.

The Tritons only had two people competing in the meet, Tare Van Arsdall and Emily Quon. Each competed in the 1-meter springboard and faced stiff competition at this meet, as many of the top divers in the nation were there.

Diving in the meet were USC two-time All-American Kellie Brennan, and Trojan standout freshmen Raymond Vincent and Nicci Fusaro.

Additionally, UCSD was diving against Division I-level competition. Considering the fact that UCSD has only just moved up from Division III, this is a huge jump.

UCSD’s two divers competed on the first day of the Invitational in the women’s 1-meter springboard.

Despite strong performances, neither one was able to advance past the preliminary rounds.

Fusaro ended up taking the 1-meter by a slim margin over Erin Sones of Stanford, 281.95 to 266.30.

Omar Ojeda took the men’s 3-meter on the first day by demolishing the rest of the field by over 100 points. He finished with 609.90 points to beat Justin Wilcock of BYU, whose final tally was 503.95.

Ojeda dominated not only the 3-meter springboard but the rest of the Invitational as well. He took the 1-meter on the second day of the competition by making the rest of the field look ridiculous, as not a single diver was within shouting distance of his 376.50 points.

On the third day of competition, he did not win the 10-meter platform event but finished second to teammate Rubin Vaca.

USC’s Fusara also took the 3-meter event.