Women's Volleyball Splits Homestand

The Tritons’ eagerly anticipated homestand fell slightly short of expectations this weekend as they split a pair of California Collegiate Athletic Association matches.

Leo Der Stepanians/

RIMAC Arena hosted the two fierce conference showdowns, which pitted UCSD against Cal State University Stanislaus on Friday night, and Cal State University Bakersfield on Saturday.

Friday night, the Tritons thoroughly dominated the visiting Warriors of Stanislaus, sweeping them in three games. The most difficult set was the first, as the two teams went all the way down to the wire before the Tritons could finish Stanislaus off 15-13 and avoid extra points.

The next set saw a more composed UCSD meticulously dismantle the Warriors, taking the game 15-9. From there on out, it was easy sailing as the Stanislaus squad folded like a Tyson opponent, essentially packing it in and allowing the Tritons to waltz away with a 15-4 third-game victory and the match as well.

Dianne Camarillo led the way for the Blue and Gold, compiling a match-high 10 kills. Leslie Punnelli also had a strong showing Friday night, notching 16 digs in the effort. Jennie Wilson added to the barrage, chipping in with eight kills, while teammates Shannon Hawes and Kathleen Kentz had seven kills apiece.

The vanquished Warriors were led by the play of Angie Tribble, who picked up eight kills and 12 digs in the loss.

The Tritons came out Saturday night looking for more of the same polished play that had netted them the sweep the night before. It was not in the cards, however, as CSU Bakersfield overpowered UCSD, taking the match in four sets.

Perhaps it was fatigue, or maybe the players were looking forward to donning their outfits for some trick-or-treating Tuesday night, but for one reason or another the Tritons could not get it together in this match.

They faltered early on, losing the first set 15-12 before giving their most heartfelt performance of the night in the second game. Down 12-4, they rallied back and then fell behind again 14-12. The Tritons would not back down, though, and took it to extra points to win the set 16-14.

The inspired play that UCSD exhibited in the second set soon ran out, however, and it went on to drop the final two sets 15-9 and 15-8.

Saturday night it just was not there for the Blue and Gold, as it was out-hit by visiting Bakersfield at a 0.213 to 0.035 clip. This defeat marked the first loss of the season at RIMAC Arena for the Tritons.

Standout efforts for the Tritons came courtesy of Laura Sinter, who had 16 kills and 16 digs on the night. Punnelli also had a solid night with eight kills and 14 digs, while Jessica Barter was hooking up her teammates all night, picking up 34 assists.

With the split over the weekend, the Tritons’ record stands at 14-3 in CCAA play and 20-5 overall.

UCSD next heads out to Phoenix where it will lock horns with Grand Canyon University in an important CCAA showdown on Wednesday night that may have postseason ramifications. It will then return home for a two-game headstand, where it will attempt to topple CSU Dominguez Hills and CSU Los Angeles.