Revelle Student Arrested for Allegedly Stealing Over $2,000 in Suitemates’ Belongings

Photo by landLAB
Photo by landLAB

Photo by landLAB 

Revelle College resident Kyuyoung Kim was arrested for allegedly committing grand theft against her suitemates in Argo Hall on Dec. 10, 2017 at 2:29 pm.

On Dec. 10 the UCSD Police Department received a report that Kim “took items from her suitemates without their permission..” As reported in the UCSD Police Department Crime Log, the suspected crime occurred at 11:00 a.m. on Mon. Nov. 27.

The “miscellaneous” property reportedly taken included “clothing items, beauty products, and electronics.” The value of these items amounted to a total of $2,186.

The qualifications for a grand theft vary, depending on the crime and property stolen. The California Penal Code Section 487 PC states that a theft qualifies as a grand theft, rather than a petty theft, “if the money, labor, or real or personal property taken is of a value exceeding [$950].”

Generally, there are various penalties for grand theft cases. According to UCSD Police Department Detective Lucas Liu, the penalty would most likely be based on several factors, such as the “criminal background” of the suspect and the “remorsefulness of the suspect.”

Based on his previous knowledge, Detective Liu predicts that Kim will possibly face the penalty of probation.

The 2017 Annual Security and Fire Safety Report holds criminal statistics of the recent years, as well as information for contacting resources; it advises students to “report suspicious activity immediately to the UC San Diego Police Department.”

The 2017 Security and Fire Safety Report is published annually, and the criminal statistics gathered correlate with the years 2014, 2015, and 2016. Although there were no reported robberies in on-campus student housing facilities for those years, there were six reported burglaries in 2014, eight reports in 2015, and four burglaries reported in 2016.

The Report also notes the legal difference between a burglary and a robbery. A robbery is defined as “the taking or attempting to take anything of value from the … control of a person or persons by force or threat of force,” while burglary is “the unlawful entry of a structure to commit a felony or a theft.”

Neither Kim, a representative of hers, or her suitemates could be reached to provide comments on the recent event.