The Student News Site of University of California - San Diego

The UCSD Guardian

The UCSD Guardian

The UCSD Guardian

Bloom Bash 2024
Thomas Murphy, Co-Webmaster & Associate Photo Editor • Apr 22, 2024
Why I Smoke: 4/20 on Sun God Lawn
Ennis Opal, Staff Writer • Apr 22, 2024
Lunar Legislation: A look ahead
Max Rivett, Staff Writer • Apr 22, 2024
The History and Effects of THC
Kelly Loo, Senior Staff Writer • Apr 22, 2024

5 Habits to Make Your School Year a Success

Image Courtesy of Kimberly Farmer on Unsplash

Welcome back Tritons! I hope you all had a relaxing break. Unfortunately, it’s time to start getting back into the school year. I know that classes, studying, and exams can feel incredibly overwhelming right now, making these tips all the more critical. So stretch your mental muscles and let us get back on track for another great school year. 

1) Develop a routine

I know, I know. You’ve probably heard this a million times by now. Unfortunately, as boring as it may sound, a routine is good for your mental health. It not only minimizes stress but also helps incorporate healthy practices into your daily life. This might include eating breakfast, going on walks, or meditation. While you should obviously refrain from being too frigid or being too hard on yourself, starting your morning and ending your day with the same small tasks will make a big difference.

2) Get enough sleep

Going along the same lines, getting enough sleep is crucial for a fulfilling quarter. I know better than anyone how tempting it is to stay up studying or hanging out with friends. In fact, doing so may be beneficial every once in a while. However, if it becomes a habit, you might find yourself feeling tired and lacking energy. This can snowball into skipping classes, forgetting assignments, and being unpleasant to be around overall. So instead of going to bed at 5 a.m. one day and passing out at 2 p.m. the next, maybe try setting a reasonable bedtime. Your morning self will definitely appreciate it. 

3) Plan ahead

Deadlines will creep up on you if you are not prepared for them. Whether that be exam days, essay submissions, or remembering to cancel your dentist appointment, it is definitely helpful to have your important dates written down. That way you can see how far ahead you need to start your projects and give yourself enough time to study. For some students, cramming works (or at least they claim it does). But for most of us, it is better to plan ahead and avoid procrastinating as much as possible. 

4) Spend time with friends

With all of these study tips, it can be easy to forget one of the most important parts of coming back to school: being with your friends! A lot of us went home for the summer and the rest of us spent the break with only a few of our formerly large friend group. Now that everyone is back, take this time to go do something as a group. Or, if it is more your style, pick one or two friends and hang out. Whatever sounds fun to you. Just make sure to spend some time with the people you care about. 

5) Do the things you enjoy

Lastly, take some time to do what you find fun. As we move further into the quarter it is really easy to let pressure build up. Before you let it explode, make sure to relax by doing something for yourself. Maybe this means putting on a face mask, crocheting, and watching a movie. Maybe this means throwing a party with all of your friends. Maybe this means taking a long hike and enjoying the view. Whatever that looks like for you, it is important that you set aside that time. After all, these tips are here to help you enjoy your quarter, and what better way to do that than doing what you love?

That’s it for now. I hope you all found these tips helpful. And, more than that, I hope you all have a lovely quarter. Until next time!