Tara Travels: A Look at Croatia

Krka Falls National Park---Photo Courtesy of Tara Nejad
Krka Falls National Park—Photo Courtesy of Tara Nejad

The Southern European country of Croatia is truly a hidden gem. Surrounded by inviting, yet secluded, islands and packed with expansive, green national parks, Croatia has beauty at every corner. A place yet to be discovered by the majority of American tourists, traveling to Croatia creates the unique opportunity to be totally immersed in European culture. Here are four things that you have to see.

Plitvice Lakes National Park is one the highlights of Croatia. The park stretches over 73,000 acres of land and is home to some of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen in my life. New waterfalls are constantly being formed, so you can lose yourself for hours exploring the amazing land where the water is a beautiful and calming turquoise.

Pro tip — Bring a poncho if you don’t want to get soaked by the falls!

The second Croatian must-see is Krka National Park, famously known for allowing visitors to swim near a massive waterfall. With clear waters and sunshine surrounding you, you will not regret swimming in this breathtaking scenery.

Pro tip — The water might feel impossibly cold, but you’ll get used to it quickly!

Third: the island of Korcula. Only a short ferry ride away from the mainland of Croatia, Korcula is a beautiful weekend getaway, and possibly home to the tastiest food in Croatia. Because it is an island, there are amazing fresh seafood options.

Pro tip — If you are not feeling seafood, opt for the delicious homemade pasta dishes

Last but not least, one of the most popular tourist destinations in Croatia is the city of Dubrovnik. The most unique feature of this city is its historic walls that run the perimeter for two kilometers. This landmark is also famously known as one of the shooting locations for “Game of Thrones.”

Pro tip — Be sure to walk the walls in the late afternoon, otherwise the sun will get you!