Victims of Fatal Car Crash Identified as UCSD Exchange Students

Two UCSD Chinese exchange students were identified as the victims of a fatal wrong-way car crash that took place in December. Both passed away from multiple blunt-force injuries, the county Department of the Medical Examiner reported on Saturday.

Shun Yang, who was 23 years old, and 24-year-old Manlin Yang were driving a Chrysler in the southbound lanes of the I-5 when they were struck by a Mercedes speeding over 100 mph the other way, according to the California Highway Patrol. 

Shun and Manlin, who were studying computer science and economics, respectively, were headed to Lindbergh Field to fly back to their home in Guangzhou, China for the holidays, according to CBS 8.

The driver of the Mercedes, 29-year-old David Michael Elmore, was also killed in the collision. Elmore was initially heading toward Tijuana until he made a sudden U-turn and began driving north in the southbound lanes. 

CHP officers spotted Elmore’s speeding vehicle at H Street in Chula Vista with Border Patrol agents on the northbound side of the freeway in pursuit. The officers lost sight of the vehicle near E Street and Elmore apparently continued north through National City and downtown San Diego, past Mission Bay, La Jolla and Del Mar.

The crash took place just south of Manchester Avenue and was reported at 3:22 a.m. The Chrysler lit up in flames and traffic was redirected off of the freeway.