Sun God Festival Scheduled for April 30, 2016

A.S. Concerts and Events announced that UCSD’s annual Sun God Festival will not be canceled this year. According to a Jan. 19 Facebook post from ASCE, the event will be held on Saturday, April 30, 2016 from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m.

The team planning this year’s festival is optimistic about the event despite having less funding than previous years.

“We have been hard at work to ensure that this year’s festival is an experience you’ll never forget,” ASCE representatives wrote. “While we face some new budget constraints this year, we are up for the challenge and can’t wait to see all of you … on the field.”

According to the Facebook post, there were significantly fewer substance-related incidences at Hullabaloo last quarter, which ASCE considered a sign that students are consciously trying to make campus events safer.

“We still have much to do in the way of educating all of our student body and working toward safer participation in campus events, and we are incredibly thankful to see that the rest of the student body supports movement in this direction,” ASCE said. “Knowing that the students on our campus are willing to engage with us and make the effort to party responsibly is a step toward changing the culture associated with campus music festivals into something more positive.”

Students can become members of the festivals-planning team by attending ASCE’s weekly meetings on Mondays in Price Center East.