Letters to Editor

How-To Guru Is a “Brilliant Meta-Satire”

Dear Editor: 

This is the second version of a letter I’ve written to respond to Tuesday’s column titled “Liberate Yourself; Go Braless.” In the first, I criticized the UCSD Guardian for publishing what I thought was very clearly an anonymous anti-feminist tirade that completely misrepresented the “Free the Nipple” protest and suggested men should demonstrate support for gender equality by sexually harassing women.

Yet a series of emails with the editorial staff convinced me that I was misinformed. A piece that completely apes the language used by men’s rights activists leading up to the event was not, as I and others who’ve read the piece surmised, a “satire” summarized kindly as “lol feminism” or unkindly as “sexism is hilarious.” Instead, it’s a satire of misogynists satirizing feminists. This brilliant meta-satire thus joins the illustrious ranks of the Koala, comedians who tell rape jokes, anons on 4chan and gamergate (“actually, it’s about ethics in journalism”) — all of whom must be clandestine Gloria Steinems in their heart-of-hearts. The column has truly opened my eyes, although I admit that I’m now confused about who the authentic trolls really are.

(Much of this letter is sarcastic in case that wasn’t clear. I’ll leave it to the reader to decide which position I am taking.)

Rene Patnode Ph.D. Student, Sociology

Management Must Take Steps To Reduce Water Consumption on Campus

Dear Editor: 

I am writing to express my grievances with water management and resource allocation on campus. In the midst of the drought, I have noticed some steps being taken to reduce water consumption, like turning off the Revelle College fountain, and planting low-water using plants outside the Thurgood Marshall College advising office, but this is not enough. Some of the easiest ways to reduce water use are being ignored. For example, the sprinklers that water plants each night are watering the street more than the plants, which needs to be fixed. Simply altering the directions of the sprinklers could make a huge difference. There are also other running fountains around campus that could be shut off. Saving water is more of a priority than aesthetic. Likewise, the patches of lawn around campus, though beautiful, are water hogs and entirely unnecessary. Removing these lawns and replacing them with plants with little to no water consumption needs may be an investment to begin but would pay off in the long run. It is time for the students of UCSD to speak up and express how important it is to take these small steps to reducing our school’s impact on the drought.

Katrina Kennedy Freshman, Thurgood Marshall