University Officials Offer Reward For Vandal

University officials are searching for anyone with information regarding a vandalism act on the Mandeville Center that took place early this year.

Surveillance footage from Jan. 5 shows a thin male on the Mandeville property wielding a sledgehammer that police say he used to cause damage to eight security cameras. Additionally, the suspect allegedly damaged restroom placards and spray-painted provocative messages toward university officials.

Many students protested during Fall Quarter 2013 after the university announced new security measures around Mandeville, including the closure of an often-vandalized staircase known as “Graffiti Hall.” At the time, the university cited safety as a concern surrounding the communal spray-painting of the staircase and its surrounding walls.

Since then, the university has opened the Graffiti Art Park near Original Student Center as an alternative venue for public art.

The San Diego County Crime Stoppers is offering a $1,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of a suspect in the vandalism case.