Triton Spirit Night Events Unite Six Colleges

UCSD hosted its annual Spirit Night basketball games, reception and dance on Friday, Jan. 30. Students from all six of UCSD’s residential colleges attended the game and competed to win the Spirit Night Trophy, which Muir College took home at the end of the night.

The Tritons won both their women’s and men’s basketball games against Cal State East Bay at RIMAC Arena with scores of 64–60 and 65–54, respectively. UCSD’s Cheer Team and Pep Band, along with the student body, were present to rally the teams.

For the spirit competition, a panel of judges evaluated each college based on its student attendance, the decoration of its designated seating area, its “King Triton Sidekick,” its college banner and the results of the two halftime “basketball musical chairs” contests.

The first place recipient in each category received six points while second place received five points, and so on, except in the category of attendance in which colleges earned double the points.

In addition to Muir receiving the top prize, Eleanor Roosevelt College took home second place while Revelle College came in third.

Sixth College junior Tiffany Lee told the UCSD Guardian that, after her enjoyable experience at Spirit Night, she thinks there should be more spirit-oriented events on campus throughout the year.

“It was really awesome seeing everyone come together to support our school,” Lee said. “We should definitely do these types of events more often.”

ERC freshman Joann Cai told the Guardian that her first experience with Spirit Night was extremely memorable.

“The ERC Spirit Rally was a very fun and exciting experience,” Cai said. “The event helped pump me up for the basketball game, which was also a nice break from midterms.”

UCSD not only allowed its current students to attend both basketball games for free but also offered two free tickets to any alumni. Additionally, during the break between the two basketball games, the university hosted a reception at Home Plate Sports Cafe next to RIMAC to give alumni the opportunity to socialize and network with each other.

After the basketball game, students traveled to the third-floor patio of Geisel Library to attend the annual Spirit Night Dance. UCSD’s own DVC: The Deejays and Vinylphiles Club provided entertainment and music for the dance, which began at 9 p.m. and ended at midnight.