UC President Announces New Partnership With Mexico

University of California President Janet Napolitano and the Mexican Secretariat of Energy Deputy Secretary of Energy Leonardo Beltran met at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory on Oct. 30 to sign a memorandum of understanding, which outlined the nature and scope of collaboration between the two parties over the next five years. 

Collaborations mentioned within the MoU focused on finding renewable energy resources and included possible research, meetings between scholars, scientists and administrators and development of graduate programs in the field of renewable energy. 

“The deepening collaboration and projects we are developing between Mexico and California will contribute to the much-needed efforts against climate change,” said Beltran in a statement released on Oct. 30. “The ultimate goal is that Mexico and California work together in these areas that are needed to secure a more sustainable future and a long-lasting regional economic development.”

The signing was a part of a much larger UC system-Mexico initiative that was launched in January and based in UC Riverside. The goal of the initiative is to create a sustained, strategic and equal partnership between the UC system and Mexico by unifying existing programs, such as academic collaborations and student exchange programs, while developing new programs as well. The initiative further addresses common issues, such as that of renewable energy. 

In May, Napolitano began a round of meetings between the UC system and Mexico by traveling to Mexico City to sign a previous and withstanding MoU with the Mexican National Council of Science and Technology. This first MoU extended the UC system and Mexico’s prior Agreement of Cooperation in Higher Education and Research, which focused on academic partnerships.

The initiative chose the UC Berkeley lab as the location of the signing due to the UC system-supported Mexican postdoctoral research set to take place there in the near future. After the signing, the group, including UC Riverside Chancellor Kim Wilcox, toured various parts of the lab, including the Advanced Light Source and FLEXLAB. These areas of the lab allow researchers to develop and test building systems under real world conditions, either individually or as an integrated system. 

The purpose of the postdoctoral stays will be to complete specific laboratory, library or field research and to undertake specialized training. The first three postdoctoral researchers chosen to be a part of the program will begin working in January 2015. 

“Berkeley Lab is proud to be the site for the signing of this historic MoU,” said Berkeley Lab Deputy Director Horst Simon. “Now is the right time for California to work on these issues of common interest with Mexico as they focus on their energy sector. I’m looking forward to seeing more collaboration between UC and SENER that will further our mutual research efforts and continue our tradition of bringing science solutions to the world.”Janet Main Picture