BREAKING: Price Center Evacuated Due to Fire

Photo by UCSD Guardian
Photo by UCSD Guardian

Price Center East was evacuated Tuesday afternoon after smoke alarms throughout the building went off repeatedly beginning at roughly 2:30 p.m.

A source heard from a maintenance worker the smoke had been coming from two separate fires in bathrooms on both the first and second floors of Price Center. The source did not know whether the fires occurred in Price Center East or West. A second source said that the entirety of Price Center East had been shut down, while Price Center West appeared open.

The cause of the fire was not known to either source. According to the first source, evacuees were initially allowed back into Price Center, but when another smoke alarm went off, they were told that it was not a drill and were instructed to evacuate again.

Fire trucks were seen headed toward campus shortly after 2:30 p.m.

The first source reported that evacuees would be escorted back into Price Center to retrieve their belongings, but would be required to exit the building once again.

At press time, evacuees had not been allowed back into Price Center.

Follow the Guardian for more information as it becomes available. Share any knowledge of today’s events in the comments below.