Site Seen: Brides Against Breast Cancer

Site Seen: Brides Against Breast Cancer

Bakersfield.brides_and_volunteers

October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month, when nonprofits, businesses and ordinary people alike come together to support those who have been affected by breast cancer. Buying a wedding gown is one of the most unique ways you can help fund programs for breast cancer patients. Brides Against Breast Cancer is a nonprofit organization that sells gently worn, donated wedding gowns with the proceeds going to families affected by breast cancer. UCSD students may find interest in an event like this if they are studying sciences and want to see an excellent aspect of cancer funding. Marriage may not be in sight for many undergrads — or even graduate students — but current students can get involved with the organization by volunteering their time or attending the event and speaking to those who are directly involved in the lives of people with breast cancer. BABC is currently holding its “Nationwide Tour of Gowns,” a traveling bridal show, at the San Diego Marriott La Jolla from Oct. 5 to Oct. 6.

Wedding gown prices range from $99 to $3,900, with the average gown costing $600. They are available in sizes 4 to 18. Check out the gowns early at the VIP event, “Unveiling of the Gowns,” on Saturday from 6 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Admission to the VIP event is a tax-deductible donation of $20. VIP attendees will enjoy entertainment and giveaways. General admission is Sunday, Oct. 5 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. and costs $5. BABC also offers a layaway policy. To attend the “Nationwide Tour of Gowns,” you must register at their website. With over $2 million raised annually at these events, Brides Against Breast Cancer provides an excellent opportunity for UCSD students to get a new perspective on cancer programs and research and to make a positive impact.