The Sixth Seed

For the first time since 2008, the UCSD women’s crew varsity eight boat has qualified for the NCAA Division II Women’s Rowing Championships. Nationals will be held at Eagle Creek Park in Indianapolis.

No. 4 Central Oklahoma and No. 6 UCSD were the only two teams to receive an at-large bid to the tournament. The four other schools, winning their conference meets to receive the automatic qualifier, are No. 1 Barry, No. 7 Mercyhurst, No. 2 Nova Southeastern and No. 3 Western Washington. 

UCSD will compete in the first heat alongside Barry and Central Oklahoma next Friday, March 31, beginning at 8:10 a.m. The remaining three teams will compete in the second heat at 8:20 a.m. 

The winners of the heats will compete in the Grand Final on Sunday, June 2. All other teams will race in the Repechage race on Saturday, June 1. 

“It’s gonna be hard, we’re gonna have to row our best race,” UCSD All-WIRA selection Ashley Travaglione said. “We have to be perfect, because the other teams are very fast. I think having Barry in the first heat is a good thing though, because they’ve been on fire recently.”

UCSD has made four previous NCAA appearances — in 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008. The Tritons were national runners up in 2007 and 2008. 

At the All-WIRA conference championships, UCSD’s varsity eight boat came in second place, just 0.8 seconds behind Western Washington. 

For their efforts, UCSD placed four rowers in the All-WIRA conference team, with seniors Travaglione and Michelle Robins named to the first team. Seniors Alyssa Dixon-Word, the UCSD Captain, and Tanya Vander Vis named to the second team. 

In UCSD’s last meet, the Aberdeen Dad Vail Regatta, the Tritons faced three of its NCAA opponents. 

In the first heat, UCSD placed fifth with a time of 7:57.41 behind second place Mercyhurst (7:51.18). In the second round, the Tritons bested Mercyhurst, finishing at 7:06.95. 

In the grand final, the Tritons again placed in front of Mercyhurst but behind No. 1 Barry University and No. 2 Nova Southeastern University. 

“Honestly, Mercyhurst, we should beat them no problem. Both Barry and Nova Southeastern are extremely fast, although it’s hard to say how much faster because the conditions were not the greatest at the [Dad Vail Regatta].”

Travaglione says UCSD will take off for Nationals next Tuesday, May 29. “I expect us to make the Grand Final,” Travaglione said. “We’d all like to medal and at least be in the top three.”

2013 NCAA Division II Women’s Rowing Championships
    May 31-June 2
    Eagle Creek Park
    Indianapolis 

Friday, May 31
    Varsity 8 Heat One (Barry, Central Oklahoma, UCSD): 8:10 a.m.
    Varsity 8 Heat Two (Mercyhurst, Nova Southeastern, Western Washington): 8:20 a.m. 

Saturday, June 1
    Varsity 8 Repechage: 7:30 a.m. 

Sunday, June 2
    Varsity 8 Petit Final: 6:40 a.m.
    Varsity 8 Grand Final: 6:50 a.m.