New Muir Provost will be Named in Winter

Muir College will nominate someone next quarter to replace Susan Smith, the current Muir Provost. The search committee includes Associate Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs/Dean of Undergraduate Education Dr. Barbara Sawrey, Warren College Provost Steven Adler, Muir College Dean of Student Affairs Patricia Mahaffey, various professors, an alumni representative and two Muir student representatives. The committee expects to conduct between six to eight interviews for the position in the coming weeks.

According to a campus notice from Executive Vice Chancellor of Academic Affairs Suresh Subramani, candidates considered for the provost search will be limited to those holding full-time, tenured faculty positions in academic departments. The appointed provost will hold the position for five years, with the possibility of renewal. The provost will be responsible for heading collaborations within academic departments, leading Muir College in academic and administrative contexts, and making inter-college appointments, merits and promotions, among many other tasks.

Smith announced in November that she will retire from the position at the end of the calendar year. She has been provost since 2005, and has had a faculty position within the department of Visual Arts since 1987.

As Provost, Smith was involved in the design of the Muir College Tamarack Apartments, as well as the reinstitution of the Muir Wilderness and Human Values course. After retirement from both positions, Smith, an expert in medieval art, hopes to spend more time in Northern California with her family, as well as work on finishing her book on women in medieval art and begin a project regarding 19th century popular photography.

“It is clear from the Search Committee meetings with Muir students, faculty and staff that Provost Smith’s warmth, commitment and active participation are overwhelmingly appreciated,” Sawrey said. “We would like to thank her again for all that she has done to build the Muir community and enhance student life!”