Council Talks ‘Swipes for Homeless’; Honors Outgoing Veteran Writer

SPACES staff members informed council about the programs they offer, like the mentor/mentee program, and events they will be holding later in the year. SPACES and the Academic Success Program each receive $67,844 from campus referendum fees and an additional $67,844 in matched funding from Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs Penny Rue. The SPACES staff noted that CPO at UCLA, a program with similar origins and intentions, has 27 career full-time staff members compared to SPACES’ one full-time staff member.

Muir Senator Andrew Buselt educated council about the differences between gender identity, sexual orientation and biological means using a “genderbread” man to clarify. Buselt then asked council for a moment of silence to honor transgender people murdered due to discrimination.

Campuswide Senator Baldeep Dhaliwal announced that UCAB would not be implementing a set-up fee for student organizations to use its spaces this year. She said that UCAB would reconsider implementing the fee next year.

A.S. President Meggie Le told council that she, Sixth Senator Linda Le and Panhellenic Representative Katey Solzberg would be coordinating a relief drive for Hurricane Sandy during Week 10 that will continue into finals week.

Swipes for the Homeless hit a minor bump in the road, as the HDH director and staff were not consulted before the resolution was passed by A.S. Council. The measure will continue despite hurt feelings, with 38 cents out of every dollar that students choose to donate to the homeless.

AVP Diversity Affairs Elizabeth Garcia announced that KSDT will hold its fall show at the Hump.

Triton TV and the DJs and Vinylphiles Club are collaborating to present a Hurricane Sandy relief effort on Nov. 30 at Porter’s Pub. The event will feature food, music and hookah and will cost $5 for admission without food, $10 for admission with food and $15 for non-students. ACTA will also host Board & Brew on Nov. 19.

VP Student Life Cody Marshall announced that he will participate in the Quest for the Spirit of Sixth College over the weekend.

“On Sunday, I’m going to be showcasing my goods,” Marshall said.

I had the fortune to be recognized as council factor of the week along with Revelle Senator Guy Elezra.

There were some great questions during question time.

“My question is for our VP Finance: Did you get a haircut?” Campuswide Senator Summer Perez asked.

Finally, after many long months, I’ve finished with the joy of having to write for A.S. Council. Good luck to our next New Business columnist, Aleks Konstantinovic, and here’s to another banner in the Staples Center.

$2515
    $5000