Greek Week Kicks Off on Campus

The competition is on for new and returning Greek Tritons, who participated in UCSD’s annual Greek Week this past week. Festivities began with a toga party on Monday, Oct. 22 and will culminate in a Greeks-only dance Thursday night in Price Center West Ballroom.

The friendly competition between chapters of the Interfraternity Council, the Panhellenic Council and the Multicultural Greek Council featured a coin-collecting fundraiser, a dunk tank and an obstacle course.

“It’s exactly like the Olympics,” IFC Vice President of Programming Danny Fishman said. “The original Olympics — that was our model.”

The theme for this year’s Greek Week is Greek gods and goddesses. There are 10 teams — each consisting of three to four chapters from IFC, Panhellenic and MCG — with each team named after a Greek god.

This year’s event is being held two weeks after formal rush ended. In the past, the event has been held during winter or spring quarter.

Greek Week 2012 is raising money for the Muscular Dystrophy Association. There is a competition to raise money through an event called Coin Wars. Money jars are set out for each team every day — adding dollar bills takes points away from the other teams, while coins add points. Whichever team ends up with the highest ratio of coins to bills wins. On Wednesday, Oct. 24. MGC also sold In-N-Out burgers on Library Walk for $3.50 each.

“The point of Greek Week is multi-faceted,” Fishman said. “It’s to raise money for Muscular Dystrophy Association and to celebrate Greek life.”

Ayan Kusari contributed to this report.

$2515
    $5000