Golf Places Third at Sonoma

Shooting five under par, with a total score of 864, UCSD was narrowly ousted from second place by CCAA opponent Sonoma State, who finished with 860. Hawaii Hilo took the championship with a score of 856.

“This was definitely one of our better finishes, but this is more of what we’re expecting out of this squad this year,” UCSD Assistant Coach Keith Okasaki said. “We could have easily finished second, but made a few costly mistakes in the last round.”

Freshman Daniel Yang was UCSD’s top finisher, ending his first collegiate tournament with a final score of 213, three under par. Yang tied for eighth overall.

“Yang was filling in for Marc Herman, and has just been a really solid player,” Garcia said. “He will definitely be traveling for us, and will be a big help to the team. He was certainly one of the reasons why we did so well at the invitational.”

UCSD sophomore Jay Lim, the Tritons’ most consistent performer, finished second for the Tritons with an overall score of 215, to tie him for 12th place.

Freshman Clayton Yamaguchi tied for 24th, along with juniors Lewis Simon and Jacob Williams. The three all finished with an overall score of 220, four over par.

Okasaki says the Tritons will look to log another strong performance next weekend at the Monterey Bay Invitational, Oct. 22–23.

“There should be a stronger field at the CSU Monterey Bay Invitational, and the scores are going to be much higher,” Okasaki said.  “And although it’s a harder course, I think that with the guys that we have now, we should be able to par even.”

$2515
    $5000