Golf Finishes Ninth in Chico

The Invitational featured teams from around the CCAA, including first place CSU Stanislaus, ranked No. 10 nationally, as well as second place CSU Monterey Bay.

Three other conference opponents placed in front of the Tritons — fifth place Chico State, seventh place CSU East Bay and eighth place CSU San Bernardino.

“We’re much a better team than we showed this past tournament, considering we essentially competed with only four people,” UCSD Assistant Coach Keith Okasaki said. “I definitely expected much better and will continue to do so for the remainder of this Fall season.”

The Tritons got off to a rough start last Monday, Oct. 8, shooting a 300 in the first round and a 299 in the second round.

UCSD improved in the second day of competition, shooting a 293 for a final total of 892.

Sophomore Jay Lim led the Tritons with scores of 70, 74 and 72, for an overall score of 216, tying for sixth overall.

Sophomore Jacob Williams finished second for UCSD with a score of 224, while junior Lewis Simon and freshman Clayton Yamaguchi both finished with a 226.

“Jay Lim played well as expected. It was a good start to the season with him finishing sixth,” Okasaki said. “Jacob Williams played well, he just had too many costly mistakes and looks good moving forward. Clayton Yamaguchi playing in his first tournament, showed decently but has much greater potential.”

Shooting in the fourth position for the Tritons was Marc Hermann, who contracted an allergic reaction just prior to the tournament, according to Okasaki.

Despite illness, Hermann finished the tournament with a 261.

The Tritons resume tournament play next week at the Sonoma State Invitational next week, Monday-Tuesday, Oct. 15-16.

$2515
    $5000