Fire Causes Campus-wide Blackout

All six dining halls and the college markets closed due to the campus-wide power outage.
      Goody’s Market student lead and Revelle College senior Sarah Matsushima said that the market closed at 1 p.m.

“The power went out at 11:45 a.m.,” Matsushima said. “Goody’s upstairs was giving out food. All refrigeration was down, heating was down, all registers were down, so we couldn’t charge them.”

Muir College sophomore David Woo said that he did not experience the power outage until he got to campus around 8 p.m. on Saturday.

“It was eerily quiet,” Woo said. “None of my apartmentmates were home this weekend, so I called my friends and went out to dinner,” Woo said.

Although power was restored Sunday morning, Woo said his building as of Monday morning still does not have hot water.

Due to the power outage, the university provided on-campus residents with two city shuttles with service to Costa Verde and La Jolla Village Square. The shuttles were available for 8:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. on Saturday.

According to KGTV 10 News, the fire caused approximately $300,000 worth in damage to the power station building’s contents, and approximately $50,000 in damage to the property. The campus-wide power outage also affected UCSD’s Thornton Medical Hospital, forcing it to utilize its emergency backup power. 

Although campus-wide notices reported power to be restored within four hours, power was not restored campus-wide until 1:30 a.m. on Sunday.

$2515
    $5000