No. 21 Tennis Tops Point Loma

The Tritons, who had lost their previous eight matches, may have since fallen out of contention for a postseason berth.

“It was nice to get a win after a tough streak,” UCSD head coach Eric Steidlmayer said to the UCSD Athletic Department. “We’re very happy to finish the year with a win.”

UCSD took a narrow 5-4 victory over the Sea Lions, edging Point Loma 2-1 in the doubles component, with both teams taking three matches apiece in the singles component.

The makeshift pairing of freshman Kona Luu and sophomore Devon Sousa — whose usual doubles partner, senior Austin West was unable to participate due to injury — fought for a tight 9-8 win.

The pairing of sophomore Max Jiganti and senior Sam Ling, who have won their past four matches together, recorded a strong 8-3 win, while UCSD’s largely untested freshman team of Mark Meyer and Trevor Dell suffered a close 8-6 loss.

Jiganti and Sousa found more success in their singles matches, as both Tritons walked away with wins. Jiganti, who seems to be peaking late in the year, (having put together an 18-3 record in singles matches this season) secured the win in the No. 2 spot. The sophomore defeated Point Loma’s KC Ensley with scores of 6-1 and 6-3.

Sousa won in straight sets in the No. 5 match, while freshman Guy Giubilato, another underclassman who has had little opportunity on the court this season, won the singles No. 6 match 6-2, 6-3.

Ling and Luu both fell in straight sets, while senior Chapman Chan was edged in the No. 1 bout in three games, 1-6, 7-6, 10-8.

The Tritons finished their regular season which they started in February, by going 9-1 with a 13-10 overall record.

No. 19 UCSD will hear if it qualifies for the NCAA Division II National Championships this Tuesday, April 24.

$2515
    $5000