Golf Finishes 11th in Turlock

The Tritons came into the tournament after placing second out of 11 schools in the beginning of April at the FLC Skyhawk Desert Shootout.

The fact that we did place second the other day shows that we actually have the potential to show well at Regionals, UCSD assistant coach Keith Okasaki said.  

In the first day of competition, sophomore Simon Lewis and freshman Jay Lim led UCSD on the green. Both Tritons finished five over par, with scores of 149. The two ended the first day tied for 34th place overall.

Sophomores Jacob Williams and Fredrik Palmer-Picard both recorded decent performances, carding scores of 153 and 155, respectively.

The Tritons ended the day placed 13th, chasing first-place No. 4 nationally ranked Cal State Stanislaus and second-place No. 7 Western Washington.

The Tritons had a good second day to jump up two spots, finishing 11th with a score of 902. UCSD finished 38 over par, nine strokes behind 10th place Dixie State.

Simon held his stroke to lead the Tritons with a score of 222 on the par-72 course. Lim finished three strokes behind, while Williams and Picard carded scores of 74 and 75 respectively.

[Simon] played better than his score indicated, Okasaki said. It was really windy on Monday, and the conditions made it hard for everyone out there. [Lim] played a solid round, it wasnt his best performance but we just finished a practice round today, and it went pretty well. So we should have a pretty good showing at conference.

Hosts Cal State Stanislaus kept its first days advantage to win the tournament for the 14th time in the past 17 years, while Western Washington finished in second.

The Tritons now have the rest of the week to prepare for the CCAA Championships, to be played on April 23-24 in Paso Robles, California, where UCSD will look to improve on 2011s sixth-place finish.