Council Indefinitely Tables Proposed $13 Fee Increase

A.S. President Alyssa Wing wrote an email to the council listserv on Feb. 29 announcing that the referendum’s sponsors will not pursue the legislation this year.

“They [AVC of Student Affairs and the Chair and Vice-Chair of UCAB] have decided to discontinue their efforts to pursue putting the referendum on the spring ballot, and thus, will be asking council to table C1 indefinitely,” Wing wrote. “While we will not be discussing the referendum today, the referendum will most certainly appear again for council approval in the near future.”

The proposed referendum would increase the University Centers fees from $76.50 to $89.50 per quarter to support Price Center, the Student Center and Che Café.

According to a Feb. 13 Guardian article, the funding from the increase would go toward maintenance and repairs to University Centers, and help Price Center remain open 24 hours a day Sunday through Thursday. A 2010 estimate by ISES Corporation puts the total cost of repairs and essential maintenance at around $6.4 million. The fee increase is estimated to fund an additional $20 million of services over 20 years.

$2515
    $5000