CLICS is for the Students — Not A.S.

I feel irked to read in the most recent article about the A.S. body opting to turn CLICS into a lecture hall-like style. A.S. Council, when did you actually care about the well-being of CLICS? I give you some credit for putting forth the effort in trying to save it. But it was mainly the students who took the initiative to reclaim it for their own studying purpose during finals week.

As quoted from the article, “The meeting closed with Wing’s unveiling of the first draft of the new CLICS facility. The layout includes a large lecture hall in the middle, an entryway with standing work bars similar to those in Price Center East and three study areas to hold approximately 130 seats.”

Excuse me? CLICS was closed down because the school couldn’t afford to keep it running, and A.S. council is suggesting we add stuff to the so-called “new CLICS’s facility?”

When did CLICS become a new facility? When did people suddenly show interest in renovating CLICS after it closed down? Oh yeah, when students actually took action. While going for Division I sports? In a time where student costs are rising? That’s AS for you.

You can totally count my vote for Division I sports, I would love to someday have an additional five hundred dollars added to my billing statement just so I can brag to the world that UCSD is in the level of UCLA and Cal. I totally agree that the reason why there is less school spirit is because we don’t have a football team. Because sports clearly make the difference, not one’s mindset.

We are all here in this school for a reason, to succeed personally and contribute to the greater good of our future and community. Not to say we got a fancy library and that our school is in division I sports.

I wish A.S. Council would stop focusing on such trivial matters and genuinely care about the students.

—Crystal Chen

Sophomore, Warren College

$2515
    $5000