UCSD Swim and Dive Shows Strong

On Friday, Jan. 5, both the Triton men’s and women’s teams faced Division I competition — the women’s team met with Texas Christian, San Diego State, Rice University and Washington State while the men dueled Texas Christian.

Freshman Jaclyn Amog had a particularly good showing, taking first in the 100m butterfly with a personal best of 57.04, moving up to sixth place on UCSD’s top 10 list for the 100m.

Senior All-American Alex Henley landed the Tritons on the podium with a second place finish in the 200m backstroke with a time of 2:03.11, narrowly losing the gold to San Diego State top finisher Leona Jennings — who recorded a time of 2:02.49.

Despite losing 165-135 to Texas Christian, the Triton men’s team came out with better results than the women, placing five top finishers.

Diver Tyler Runsten snagged two gold medals, finishing first in the 1m dive and 3m dive with scores of 297.40 and 323.20, respectively.

Sophomore Nick Korth won the 200 IM, along with sophomore Alex Merrill who won the 200m freestyle and senior Max Herman who took the 1000m freestyle.

The No. 1 ranked Tritons hosted their final home meet of the season on Saturday, Jan. 7 in a dual meet against No. 3 Grand Canyon University.

The men’s and women’s teams split the scores, with a 159-103 win on the women’s side and a 146-116 loss on the men’s.

Henley stole the show on the women’s end, taking first in all four of her races — the 200m butterfly (2:05.57), the 200m backstroke (2:04.95), the 200 IM (2:07.46) and was a part of the winning 400m medley relay team (3:53.25) with Among, Neda Nguyen and Anji Shakya.

The men’s team dominated at long distance swims, sweeping the top three spots in both the 500m and the 1000m freestyle events, with Herman taking first in both races with times of 4:45.96 and 9:56.75, respectively.