Men’s Soccer Preview

Head coach Jon Pascale’s squad is looking to improve their 8-3-6 overall record from last season, a campaign which proved to be as exhilarating as it was frustrating.

Going without a win for their first six matches, the Tritons then went on an inspired eight-game undefeated streak, during which they drew against nationally -ranked CSU San Bernardino and upset No. 14 Chico State in a stunning double overtime victory.

However, the deficit the Tritons found themselves in after their rocky start to the season proved insurmountable, and they narrowly missed a post-season berth.

This season, Pascale has made a few adjustments to his starting eleven. Stalwart junior defender Harris Rabin is filling in the gap left by graduating hard-nosed fullback Jared Kukura — captain and All-American second team selection.

He is accompanied in the back line by sophomores Cory Wolfrom, Alec Arsht and Gavin Lamming.

They sit in front of sophomore goalkeeper Josh Cohen, who saw limited playing time last season as a freshman, but has played every minute of every game so far.

Junior Alex Portela continues to control the play in the midfield with sophomore Andrew Keimach sitting in behind. Pacey juniors Kian Malek and Adam Zernik have returned to run the widths, while up top, the Tritons will look to sophomore Andrew Ball and junior Evan Walker for offense.

So far the Tritons are 3-3 overall, splitting their only two non-conference games, beating Cal Baptist 2-1 and then dropping a game 0-1 to Saint Martin’s.

UCSD opened league play on Sept. 9, losing 0-1 to CSU Los Angeles. In their next match, the Tritons came from behind, scoring two goals within the span of three minutes to beat CSU San Bernardino 2-1.

The Tritons then traveled to San Francisco, taking a 1-0 win from SFSU. In a back-and-forth contest, UCSD broke the draw after Portela scored off a penalty granted in the 88th minute. Two days later the Tritons fell 3-0 to Cal Poly Pomona.

“At this point in the season the most important thing for our team is that we keep improving every day,” assistant coach Eric Bucchere said. “We have a diligent and motivated group, and if we stay focused and humble the sky is the limit.”

The Tritons will face CSU Dominguez Hills in their next match on Friday, Sept. 23 at the Home Depot Center.

UCSD is scheduled to play its first home game on Sunday, Sept. 25 against CSU San Bernardino.

$2515
    $5000