Women’s Soccer Makes it Seven Straight

WOMEN’S SOCCER — The women’s soccer team secured its seventh consecutive win on Friday as the No. 21 Tritons took a 1-0 victory against Cal Poly Pomona.

Despite being outshot by the Broncos 14-7, the Tritons were able to secure the win with a lone goal from sophomore midfielder Alexa Enlow in the 57th minute. The win moved UCSD to 9-2-2 in CCAA play, and makes them unbeaten in the last 10 matches.

In the first period, the Tritons were frustrated in possession by a well-conditioned Bronco squad that recorded nine shots. The energized Bronco offense tested junior goalkeeper Kristin Armstrong, who was forced to make five saves within a 5 minute period early in the game. However, the Triton defense stayed strong and Armstrong picked up her ninth shutout of the season while recording a season-high eight saves.

“It was a pretty rough start to the game,” Armstrong said about her role in the shutout. “I just tried to do my best to keep the slate clean, because we know how hard it is to play catch-up the rest of the game.”

The Tritons came into the second half invigorated and hungry for a goal. Within the first 15 minutes, UCSD connected on the offensive end to gather the game winner. Forward Annette Ilg sent a cross into the goal box that found the head of Enlow, who then sent the ball into the far post, beating the Pomona goalkeeper. Enlow — a midfield substitute for fellow sophomore Jessica Wi — put the ball in the back of the net for the first time this season, while Ilg registered her fourth assist.

“I was lucky enough to have the perfect ball sent to me from Annette [Ilg],” Enlow said. “It was seriously the biggest rush I have felt in a while.”

Thanks in large part to the energy of the reserves, including Enlow, coming off of the bench, the Tritons were able to maintain their 1-0 lead to secure the win.

“The second half was a lot better for us,” Enlow said. “It’s always hard playing the team away at their field, but good teams find a way to win.”

As the race towards conference playoffs tightens up, the Tritons — currently in second place behind CSU Los Angeles — will need to continue their winning streak to secure a spot in the post season. The squad will look to pick up their eighth consecutive win on Sunday, Oct. 24, against Cal State San Bernardino.

$2515
    $5000