Season Ends in Defeat Against Humboldt State

MEN’S BASKETBALL — The UCSD men’s basketball team finished its season on Feb. 26 at its senior night game against Humboldt State University — the final collegiate game for senior players Jordan Lawley and Tyler Acevedo.

But despite the occasion, the Tritons were unable to translate emotion into execution, and lost 87-79 to the Lumberjacks just two days after a 70-57 loss to Sonoma State.

The team had high hopes of sending its senior players, who were playing their last game in Triton colors, off with a win. Senior guard Tyler Acevedo and sophomore center Christian Hatch scored a combined 34 points, supported by junior guard Casey Ryan’s eight points off the bench. Senior guard and team scoring average leader Jordan Lawley finished with 14 points.

The Tritons were within four points of a tie with less than three minutes left, but Humboldt State forward Kevin Atkins led the Lumberjacks to a regular season-ending win by scoring a game-high 31 points and pulling down nine rebounds.

On Wednesday, Sonoma State took a commanding lead at the end of the first half and held onto it for the rest of the game.

Despite a strong performance from sophomore guard Bryce Alvari, who went 6-6 from the free-throw line with six points, and Hatch, who went 4-9 from the field with eight points, the Tritons could not keep up with the Seawolves.

Head coach Chris Carlson says he is looking to rebuild his team to improve upon the progress made by this years team.

But for Lawley and Acevedo, there won’t be a next season.

“I tried to hold onto every moment,” Lawley said. “I feel blessed that I was able to play four years on the basketball team, and I don’t take it for granted. I was glad to be able to be a part of the team.”

Acevedo said that emotions ran high in the locker room after Friday’s game.

“Student athletes create bonds that will be lifelong,” Acevedo said.

Though Lawley and Acevedo must now move on to lives beyond basketball, both players said that being a part of UCSD Athletics has changed their lives in positive ways.

Acevedo said being a student athlete instilled in him a management ethic that transcends just the sport.

“[Athletics] gave me more responsibility and time management skills to help me get by with my schoolwork,” Acevedo said.

The Triton basketball team will now enter the off-season looking to improve on their 2009-10 season. They finished with an 8-17 overall record and 7-15 in the California Collegiate Athletic Association.

$2515
    $5000