Council Closes Quarter With Gifts, Jokes and Holiday Cheer

The last A.S. meeting of the quarter was a short and relatively sweet affair that commenced two hours earlier than usual and ended shortly after the last traces of daylight faded from the sky.

A.S. Speaker Jordan Taylor could not be present for the meeting due to a class conflict with the rescheduled time, so Revelle College Chair James Lintern mediated the meeting.

John Muir College Freshman Representative Frank Chang brought in a little present for the council in the form of a potted plant, wishing members the best of luck for the rest of the year.

During reports, several councilmembers praised the upcoming activity fee referendum display, compliments of the A.S. Graphics Studio, which is located in what President Donna Bean called the “yellow epilepsy tunnel” linking Price Center and Price Center East.

“As the Special Election Manger, I’m telling you that if you haven’t done so already to go downstairs in Price Center, walk through the big yellow hallway and look at the glorious display for the referendum that has been set up,” Associate Vice President of Student Advocacy Frank Carroll said.

Associate Vice President of Athletic Relations Peter Benesch plugged the Triton Tide tailgating event for the first basketball home game of the season on Friday, and his announcement was followed by Associate Vice President of Programming Garrett Berg’s presentation regarding the TGIO event also taking place on Friday.

“We have inflatables, free food and really loud live music.” Berg said.

Berg ended his report with a reminder that the Sun God Student Forum that will take place Thursday.

Sixth College Senator Vishal Kotcherlakota announced his resignation and introduced Diane Liu to the council as his successor.

A survey was then circulated around the room, which Vice President of Student Life Darryl Nousome explained to the council assesses students’ response to the possibility of having a test-prep office and an Associated Students store on campus.

To lighten the mood, Revelle College Senator Katie Hall jokingly inquired about her colleague, fellow Revelle Senator Brian Yum, asking how he procured his newly golden-tinged locks before shifting gears to remind the council of the A.S. Pancake Breakfast on Dec. 8 at 10 p.m. Chancellor Marye Anne Fox will be a special guest serving the late-night breakfast goodies to students.

During the meeting’s new business portion, Vice President of Finance Naasir Lakhani moved to approve the allocations for Winter Quarter, which proved to be a complicated feat at this laid-back meeting because of the council’s concerns with the current financial situation.

After discussing the InterFraternity Council’s funding request for some time, Lahkani’s motion was approved and the council moved on to a five-minute open forum.

The meeting was ended after one hour so that councilmembers could attend the UC Student Association-led training on how to effectively run a referendum campaign for the activity fee mandate that will be put to students in January.