Campus Police Still Investigating Mesa Assault Case

Authorities released a sketch of the suspect Nov. 9. (Courtesy of UCSD Police Department)

Police continued to investigate an alleged sexual assault case involving a UCSD graduate student and unknown assailant last week. The assault took place at the university-owned Mesa residential apartment complex on the 9200 block of Regents Road on the afternoon of Nov. 7.

The suspect reportedly entered the young woman’s apartment through an unlocked front door where he allegedly restrained the victim, demanded money and sexually assaulted her.

The suspect is described as a 20- to 30-year-old, 160-pound Caucasian male between 5’6 and 5’9, with brown, neck-length hair and a goatee. Authorities said the suspect was wearing a white Chargers T-shirt, jeans, a backpack and a baseball cap, and is believed to have been armed with a knife during the encounter. According to UCSD Chief of Police Orville King, his identity was unknown to the victim.

Offenses of this nature are relatively uncommon, according to campus crime statistics, which cite six sex offenses by force in 2005, two in 2006 and two in 2007. Of these incidents, five were reported to have occurred on campus, three others in on-campus residential life buildings and one on off-campus property.

King said that to his knowledge, there have been no reports of similar incidents to which case could be linked.

The UCSD Police Department has yet to release any specific details relating to the case, withholding information such as whether any suspects have been questioned in connection with the incident.

Police are hopeful, however, that flyers containing a composite sketch of the suspect will help solve the case. King notes that the flyers have been circulated among local law enforcement agencies.

King said that while the UCSD Police Department will be leading the case, it will also be collaborating with other departments in their investigation of the incident.

“We are working with all the local police departments on this case,” King said.

Authorities are encouraging anyone who might have information regarding the case to contact the UCSD Police Department at (858) 534-4359.

$2515
    $5000