NO on Proposition 7

WHAT IT WOULD DO: Require all utilities, including those operated by the state government, to generate 20 percent of their power from renewable resources by 2010, a standard which would increase to 40 percent by 2020 and 50 percent by 2025.

Opposed by power companies and renewable energy firms alike, in addition to influential labor, environmental and consumer groups, this measure has ignited protest from almost every group likely to be affected by the new regulations that it would impose. While enacting what appears to be an environmentally positive set of regulations for California’s energy production, Proposition 7 in fact enforces unrealistic standards that would ultimately prove detrimental to the well-being of the state’s energy providers.

Proposition 7 seeks to enforce its suggested regulations upon all California energy producers. That means that small energy companies would be subject to the same stringent policies as larger firms, thus placing a crippling financial burden on the state’s small wind and solar energy producers, effectively limiting competition while driving business and jobs out of California.

Additionally, the measure provides for no cap on electric bills, meaning that as power providers look for ways to fund the changes required under this measure, they have the option of digging into the pockets of California’s consumers.

Join California’s leading energy producers, environmental activists, labor groups and consumer interest groups in opposing this risky measure. Vote no on Proposition 7.

$2515
    $5000