Site Seen: Yogurt World

The question that is gaining steam in the minds of anyone who has frequented the Asian restaurant-lined Convoy Street is, “”Have you been to Yogurt World yet?”” The dessert eatery’s trendy and modern interior design stands out from the region’s the bland storefronts, adult bookstores and Asian restaurants. Its glass doors, bright lighting, wooden floors and tangy orange interior glow set it off from the drab shops surrounding it. It is also a haven for Asian pop enthusiasts, with songs from Korean and Chinese pop artists blaring so loudly that it’s nearly impossible to have a conversation inside.

Photos by Hydie Cheung/Guardian

The restaurant’s fare is hottest yogurt craze since Golden Spoon. It distinguishes itself from its competitors by offering a world of frozen delights with an Asian twist. Its taste and consistency is lighter than the ice cream offered at other frozen yogurt places – it doesn’t feel thick, heavy or overly sweet. In addition to the typical flavors such as cookies ‘n’ cream, peanut butter and strawberry, Yogurt World serves up other flavors such as Mango Tango, sugar-free boysenberry and the unique and surprisingly sour flavors like Tart Green Tea and Tart Plain Yogurt. There’s no guarantee, however, that your favorite flavor will be there the next time you visit because flavors are alternated every three to four days.

The novelty of Yogurt World comes with creating your own frozen yogurt masterpiece. The self-serve machines allow those with a curious palate to sample all 16 flavors without having to worry about pestering the cashiers for more samples.

Although the frozen yogurt is good enough to eat alone, don’t skimp and miss out on the toppings just because Yogurt World charges 38 cents per ounce (a fully stocked cup of yogurt can easily add up to $4.50 or $5). There are common toppings such as cookie dough, gummy candies, Fruity Pebbles, Cap’n Crunch and M&Ms, but why settle for the ordinary? Slices of juicy jackfruit, whole blackberries, freshly diced kiwi, tiny colorful cubes of jelly and syrup-soaked whole lychees are available to decorate your frozen-yogurt sundae – all are self-serve. The most popular topping, however, is the white, bite-sized chewy mochi-like rice cake. Sometimes the customers near the front of the long line will be considerate and leave some for the customers behind them, but there’s no guarantee.

Photos by Hydie Cheung/Guardian

If your first trip to Yogurt World is at night, beware! There will be crowds of people, no parking in the already-cramped lot and no place to sit. There are only a few tables and seats in the store, but on a typical busy night, you’d be lucky to find an open spot. Some choose to go to the Tapioca Express a few doors down (they share the same owner), but most people just stand around the store and soak in the bright interior and the blaring Asian music instead.

Yogurt World

4646 Convoy St. #113

San Diego, CA 92111

(858)268-1688

$2515
    $5000