A.S. Council Endorsements

Though the latest overhaul of student government has shrunk this year’s ballot, it has heightened the consequence of every race. A slew of elected offices have been replaced with of appointed positions, with four key races deciding the makeup of an A.S. Council that will face unique opportunities and problems. Clear lines of authority in the new constitution should increase focus and accountability, but unforeseen kinks will need to be reconciled.

Illustrations By Jennifer Hsu/Guardian

Much of the strength of incoming councilmembers’ political muscle will hinge on the new choice for vice chancellor of student affairs, an office Joseph W. Watson has used as a pulpit for a constricted, cautionary and often uncomprimising attitude toward student life. Meanwhile, the institutional power of students is burgeoning, marked by their increased presence on campus committees. The pressure on this election could spell tragedy for the incoming council if it is unable to adapt to such changes – but it could also mean an unprecedented era of student power at UCSD.

Views expressed herein represent the majority vote of the editorial board and are not necessarily those of the UC Board of Regents, the ASUCSD or the members of the Guardian staff.

The Guardian Editorial Board

Heather Welles – Editor in Chief

Andrew Nguyen – Managing Editor

Charles Nguyen – Managing Editor

Matthew McArdle – News Editor

Nathan Miklos – Opinion Editor

$2515
    $5000