Short Meeting Features Visit from UCSA Organizer

The first A.S. Council meeting of spring quarter was as uneventful as it was short, nearly beating last quarter’s record for shortest meeting at 41 minutes. With student organizations getting accustomed to a new quarter just like everyone else, there was nothing substantial stated during the public input segment, except a reminder about the Career Services Center’s job fair next week and a response from the Student Regulations Revision Committee concerning the presence of alcohol at campus events.

Associate Vice President of Student Advocacy Lindsay Root submitted a resolution that proposed changes to current campus regulations on the issue.

During a special presentation, Vice President of External Affairs Long Pham recounted February’s lobby conference as a “”great success.”” The conference concentrated on funding issues, and consisted of lobbying representatives and senators from UCSD’s district. UC Student Association Field Organizer Amanda Martin told the council the main issues for funding next year would be increasing Cal Grant B funding and increasing funding for academic preparation programs.

“”Undergrad fees have increased by over 79 percent in recent years,”” Martin said, adding that Cal Grants covers only about 11 percent of fees incurred by students.

Pham’s lobbying visits to state senators included pushing a reauthorization of the Higher Education Act, which he called the “”biggest piece of legislation”” in Congress that addresses higher education. The bill provides programs such as Pell Grants, which are sometimes unable to assist all eligible students because of low funding boosts. In fact, this year was the first year that Congress increased the maximum Pell Grant amount in the last five years.

The meeting quickly progressed into the reports segment from officers. During the session, A.S. President Harry Khanna disclosed that under a new arrangement, the council would be liable for $100,000 of any request made by the Office for Students with Disabilities. However, the new system opens up more funding to reach OSD, as it was formerly financed solely by the Student Affairs office. Now there is a more expansive framework for providing adequate funding to OSD.

During the meeting’s time for questions, the lack of time-sensitive issues at this week’s meeting led a councilmember to ask what Khanna was going to take to a breakfast with a vice chancellor.

He replied that he was debating between muffins and baking cookies. But he later settled on orange juice, as he would “”probably eat the cookies”” before the breakfast.

Wary of the upcoming A.S. general election, councilmembers also stressed adhering to election rules and clarified that the council’s printers and copiers could not be used for campaigning. The election will begin April 9.

The meeting closed with announcements of upcoming entertainment, including the Muir Musical, “”Cabaret,”” premiering April 12, the Earl Warren College semi-formal and one of Revelle College’s main events, “”Recess.””

$2515
    $5000