Council Addresses Metric System, Valentine's Day

Public input at the beginning of the A.S. Council meeting included several members of leadership organizations, and Chancellor Marye Anne Fox sent a representative on her behalf to congratulate the council on the success of the athletics fee referendum.

As chair of the special elections committee, Eleanor Roosevelt College Senior Senator Erik Rodriguez-Palacios said they will try to achieve as great a turnout for the general elections as was the one for the special election.

Following Fox’s representative’s commendation, addresses were made by Assistant Vice Chancellor of Student Educational Advancement Loren Thompson from the Legends of China Program and UCSD Alumni Association President Mark Diamond.

Diamond began by saying that he had been the first freshman ever to serve on the A.S. Council. He added other similarities between his college days and now, including issues in the early ’80s with athletics, the Price Center and redrafting the constitution. Diamond also commented on his activities while he attended UCSD.

“”I actually wrote for the Koala when it was really funny,”” Diamond said.

Diamond also said that the Alumni Association is working with the university on data security to prevent identity theft in response to several incidences that occurred at other UC campuses, including UCLA and UC Davis.

During the session for questions, Roosevelt Junior Senator Kerry Kassam asked A.S. President Harry Khanna whether he had washed Fox’s car yet, as a consequence of losing the challenge he made with the chancellor about the 5K-Run/Walk in fall quarter.

“”Mark my words, before I leave campus, I will wash her car,”” Khanna said.

In another segment, Khanna was making amendments to certain items of business, changing the units on items to read feet instead of meters, causing Vice President Finance Conrad Ohashi to object.

“”The metric system is the international standard,”” Ohashi said, raising his voice and slamming his hand down on the table. “”I don’t know why we’re going back on this.””

Khanna appeased Ohashi in his response: “”It’s something we’re just going to do, but I totally agree with you.””

For one agenda item, the council declared an executive session, asking that all nonexecutive councilmembers and members of the public step outside for a closed session while executives interviewed a student for the A.S. Judicial Board. After the session concluded, the council heard announcements, one of which was from Thurgood Marshall College Junior Senator Kyle Samia, who asked councilmembers to stop by Library Walk on Valentine’s Day.

“”There will be couples of the same sex displaying affection to point out that Valentine’s Day is not always queer-friendly,”” Samia said.

To close the meeting, Rodriguez-Palacios provided an update on former Roosevelt Freshman Senator Stephanie Usry, who was in a car accident earlier this year.

“”I spoke to Stephanie and she will be returning next quarter,”” Rodriguez-Palacios said, which prompted applause from councilmembers.

$2515
    $5000