Political Onslaught of UC Continues

Pressure is increasing on UC administrators to review the system’s management structure, with a top lawmaker being the latest in a long line of politicians to demand concrete results from the university.

Last week, Assemblywoman Carol Liu (D-La Cañada/Flintridge) — chair of the state Assembly Higher Education Committee — called for a “performance audit” of the 10-campus college system, which would scrutinize the university’s staffing procedures and organization.

Under Liu’s plan, a five-person panel — two appointed by the UC Board of Regents, one by UC President Robert C. Dynes and one person each chosen by the chairs of the Assembly and Senate Higher Education Committees — would hire an independent contractor to examine “staff levels, functions, management policies, compensation levels and areas of possible duplication and overlap with campus functions,” according to Liu’s spokeswoman, Candice Chung.

Liu’s demands come on the heels of two financial audits by the university and by the state, both of which found flagrant violations of university pay policies. The state auditor found that, in some instances, the UC Office of the President authorized hundreds of thousands of dollars in extra compensation without properly notifying the UC Board of Regents.

Although estimates by the San Francisco Chronicle placed pay perk figures at more than $800 million, UC officials have disputed the exact number.

“It is clear that a systemic disconnect between UCOP and the Board of Regents and between UCOP and the UC campuses has evolved over time,” Liu stated in a press release. “I think a broad evaluation of all of the functions and operations of the UCOP is long overdue. We need to examine UCOP’s responsibilities and functions relative to those of the individual campuses and determine how the office can become more efficient and responsive.”

Dynes has said that a similar review of UC structure is already underway, with results set to be presented at the UC Board of Regents’ next meeting. He did not, however, offer details on the review or who would present it.

“It is my intent that this first review will lead to structural and functional improvements in a timely manner,” he stated in a press release. “My goal, working with others, is to achieve full public accountability.”

Liu suggested a deadline of July 2007 for the university’s performance audit, which would be paid for by the university’s own funds.